Engaged by Lend Lease throughout the schematic design phase in a full design capacity, LCI were set a clear challenge to provide a set of innovations to the incumbent design. The criteria set by the end client Health Infrastructure, was to achieve a 10% cost saving associated with the innovations.
As a Greenfield Development in the order of 23 hectares with a developable area of 16 hectares, this project was prime for opportunity to innovate. The 70,000sqm hospital comprises the following departments.
- Ambulatory Care Centre;
- Renal Dialysis Department;
- Acute and sub-acute inpatient units;
- Paediatric facilities;
- Maternity services;
- Special care nursery;
- Intensive care unit and close observation unit;
- Integrated older person services;
- Mental Health services;
- Day oncology and radiation oncology;
- Emergency department;
- Surgical department;
- Central sterile services department;
- Medical imaging department;\
- Rooftop helipad;
- External on grade staff and public carparks associated roadways; and
- Allocation for future development expansion areas.
In conjunction with Lend Lease, the project team provided 37 Innovations covering areas including ‘Blue Sky’, ‘Site Master Plan’, ‘Engineering’, Technology’ & ‘Structure’.
The 15 innovations put forward by LCI were not only cost reducing, but also resulted in a better engineering outcome from an operational and work health and safety aspect.
Of the 15 Engineering innovations put forward by LCI, 10 were adopted by Health Infrastructure and the Local Health District. These were rapidly implemented into the Design, resulting in a cost effective engineered solution.